Books Reviewed + music connection ideas
- Build a House by Rhiannon Giddens
- The Mitten by many authors
- The Secret of the Plátano by Luz Maria Mack
- The Year We Learned to Fly by Jacqueline Woodson
- Change Sings by Amanda Gorman
- In My Heart by Jo Witik
- Just Help by Sonia Sotomayor
- Ohana Means Family by Ilima Loomis
- Sun Wishes by Patricia Storms and Milan Pavlovic
The Bookstore | A Quick Reference Guide for the Year
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
MLK & Black History Month Favorites
- Martin’s Big Words is a classic. It shows Dr. King from baby to adult so great appeal to kids.
- Duke Ellington-ANYTHING by the Pinkney family is gold. Reading a biography followed by a music activity is meaningful.
- Trombone Shorty-a 21st-century artist and fantastic story
- Build a House-by musician Rhiannon Giddens fuses Black history and music.
The Nutcracker & Ballet Books
This Ukrainian folk tale has been rewritten by many authors. The most obvious music connection I found is the addition of animals to the mitten which just screams CUMULATIVE form. This resource has a single song with cumulative form OR the form could be the skeleton of an entire program where each animal is a section of the concert.
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.” (paid links above)
Build A House
Book review with LESSON PLANS, research links,
TPT companion resource below, “We Shall Not Be Moved.”
- Grades 4-7 (These grades were chosen because of the instrumental parts. The melody can easily be sung by K-3)
- The book ends with a line from the song, “And I will not be moved.”
- Activities to teach the I, IV, V7 harmonies using Orff parts and ukulele.
- Perform using only Orff or only ukulele, or a combination.
The Secret of the Plátano
Set in the Dominican Republic, this gorgeous book is about the love between abuela and her grandson, and the magic of dancing and nature.
The Year We Learned to Fly
“Fly Away” is a companion resource to “The Year We Learned to Fly.”
As an Amazon Affiliate, some links may be paid.
“The Change Is You” and “Change the World With Kindness” are companion resources to “Change Sings” by Amanda Gorman.
Ohana Means Family
A great book about Hawaiian culture to use with multiple grade levels! K-2 can use movement and un-pitched percussion and grades 3-5 can use movement and barred instruments!
A song that would complement the learning in the book.
This old chant was set to music by Winona Beamer. The kahuli (tree snails) or pūpū kanioe (land shells) are the singing snails of legend. Winona Beamer was a champion of authentic and ancient Hawaiian culture, publishing many books, musical scores, as well as audio and video recordings on the subject.
In My Heart
Tapestry is the perfect companion resource to “Sun Wishes” with its story of colors, weaving, layers, and in this case, a tapestry of sound!
Just Help by Sonia Sotomayor
Next books to be added:
- The Earth Gives More
- Holi Hai